Fire on Philadelphia St in Covington causes $50k in damages - Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

Covington fire causes $50k in damages

Posted: Updated:

Crews believe a gas fireplace to be the cause of an early morning house fire.

The fire broke out around 2:30 a.m. in the 700 block of Philadelphia Street.

According to officials, a man and his daughter were woken up by the smell of burning wood inside of the home.

Upon arrival, crews found the home completely engulfed in flames.

Damages are estimated at $50,000. Both the man and his daughter were able to escape the home safely.

In addition to the gas fireplace, Battalion Chief John Martin says the cold weather is a huge factor. Martin also urges homeowners and renters to have their fireplaces inspected annually and to keep space heaters at least three feet from furniture or blankets. 

This is the fifth fire in the Tri-state since Monday.

Copyright 2013 WXIX. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow