Thursday, December 5 2013 12:03 AM EST2013-12-05 05:03:03 GMT
Did you know that some Ohio police officers are allowed to work after drinking? In fact, OSP officers can't be disciplined for having a blood alcohol level below .04. "You can be pretty much off yourFull Story >
Did you know that some Ohio police officers are allowed to work after drinking? In fact, OSP officers can't be disciplined for having a blood alcohol level below .04.Full Story >
Wednesday, December 4 2013 10:59 PM EST2013-12-05 03:59:56 GMT
Cincinnati City Council has voted to pause all spending on the Cincinnati Streetcar. The vote passed in city council on Wednesday evening 5-4. In a second 5-4 vote, the city also voted to suspend contractFull Story >
Cincinnati's city council has voted to immediately halt spending on a $133 million streetcar that has been under construction for months.Full Story >
Wednesday, December 4 2013 10:49 PM EST2013-12-05 03:49:31 GMT
A woman is in critical condition after she was struck by a vehicle in Union Township. The incident happened around 8:15 p.m. on Wednesday evening in the 700 block of Ohio Pike. Officers say that the victimFull Story >
A woman is in critical condition after she was struck by a vehicle in Union Township. Officers say that the vehicle failed to stop.
Wednesday, December 4 2013 10:14 PM EST2013-12-05 03:14:20 GMT
Seven people are injured following a crash in Waynesville, Ohio resulting in one car striking a house. The accident happened around 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday night near US 42 and North Street. OfficersFull Story >
Seven people are injured following a crash in Waynesville, Ohio resulting in one car striking a house.Full Story >
(RNN) - Today is the first of two Friday the 13ths to occur during 2013.
You may be one of the more than 21 million Americans who have a dreaded fear of this recurring day.
But even if you try to hide, will you truly be safe when a masked Jason Voorhees comes knocking at your door with his signature machete in hand? (Yet, there are only 12 Friday the 13th movies...)
Or are you one of the brave who laughs in the face of any impending doom that may occur?
Decide for yourself as you read these 13 facts about Friday the 13th:
1. The day of the week the 13th most often falls on is a Friday.
2. As many as 21 million Americans fear Friday the 13th, according to the North Carolina Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, NC. The fear of Friday the 13th is known as "paraskevidekatriaphobia." Experts like Dr. Donald Dossey say the phobia can be cured simply by learning to pronounce it.
3. Disdain for Friday the 13th is primarily linked to the Bible. Scholars say Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Judas, his betrayer, arrived as the 13th guest to the Last Supper meal. Friday and 13 are also linked to the two great sins in the Bible's Old Testament. Adam is said to have eaten the forbidden fruit on a Friday. His son Cain is believed to have murdered Abel on a Friday the 13th.
4. Thirteen's poor luck may have come about because it falls after the number 12, which numerologists view as a complete number, Dr. Thomas Fernsler told National Geographic. There are many famous 12s, including the 12 apostles, 12 tribes of Israel and 12 signs of the zodiac. The list goes on.
5. There are many age-old superstitions that surround Friday the 13th, according to Time. One says a family member will die as the result of cutting your hair.
6. Builders have a strong contempt for the number 13. Of the world's high rises, more than 80 percent lack a 13th floor, according to the National Geographic. The number is also frequently omitted from hospital and hotel rooms, streets and airline aisles and gates, according to the Huffington Post.
7. Italians apparently also dislike the number 13. It has been excluded from the Italian national lottery, the Huffington Post reports. Also, homes between the numbers 12 and 14 are addressed 12 1/2, according to the International Business Times.
8. The number 13 is often blamed for the misfortunes of Apollo 13 mission. The crew's liftoff occurred at 13:13 CST, according to NASA records. On April 13th, the mission was dealt a crippling blow when its No. 2 oxygen tank exploded. Jim Lovell, the crew's commander, saw the gas leaking out into space 13 minutes after the blast.
9. The 13th tarot card is appropriately named "Death." The card traditionally shows a skeleton riding a horse.
10. Famed rapper Tupac died on Friday, Sept. 13, 1996. To this day, sightings of the recording artist continue. Jason, the fictional villain of the Friday the 13th movie series, was also killed on Friday the 13th and walks among the undead.
11. Civil War veteran William Fowler formed New York's famed "Thirteen Club" in 1880 with the goal of improving the number's image, according to History.com. Five presidents - Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt - were among the club's membership, which exceed 400, according to Time.
12. Friday the 13th will occur at least once a year but never more than thrice. This year, there are two: September and December.
13. Appropriately, 13 was the sacred number of the Mayans inhabiting the Yucatan peninsula. "The days, years and ages were counted by periods of 13 numbers," John Lloyd Stevens noted in his famous Incidents of Travel in Yucatan.
Copyright 2012 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved. Sources: History.com, Huffington Post, International Business Times, National Geographic, National Public Radio, NASA.
Do you fear Friday the 13th?
Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
Thursday, February 3 2011 5:19 PM EST2011-02-03 22:19:13 GMT
New details have been released on a large drug sweep in Pierce Township, Clermont County. On Wednesday, a total of 17 people were indicted by a grand jury on 46 charges related to trafficking in drugs.Full Story >
Wednesday, December 4 2013 12:42 AM EST2013-12-04 05:42:35 GMT
MADISON COUNTY, KY (WAVE) – A mother is facing charges after she allegedly left her children in a bedroom with drugs and a corpse. According to Richmond police, around 8:30 a.m. on November 30 officersFull Story >
According to Richmond police, around 8:30 a.m. on November 30 officers responded to a home in Dixie Plaza on a report a 24-year-old man had overdosed.Full Story >
Wednesday, December 4 2013 11:01 AM EST2013-12-04 16:01:35 GMT
University of Cincinnati is warning students about two incidents of women being bothered in bathrooms on campus. Campus police report that two female students were accosted in women's rest rooms in theFull Story >
University of Cincinnati is warning students about two incidents of women being bothered in bathrooms on campus.Full Story >
Tuesday, December 3 2013 5:29 PM EST2013-12-03 22:29:16 GMT
The belt buckle in question is a large one that features the Confederate flag. Cody Long started wearing it to Mason High School after his friend died, the friend he said gave him the bet. It didn'tFull Story >
The belt buckle in question is a large one that features the Confederate flag. Cody Long started wearing it to Mason High School after his friend died. On Tuesday, the school released a statement with their opinion on the matter.